While converting and saving Word documents to PDF files has always been easy, the same cannot be said for converting PDFs into Word documents. This article will examine some of the best ways to convert PDF to Word as well as how to convert Word to PDF. In addition, we will review 10 of the best converters available:
- WPS PDF to Word Converter
- Nitro PDF to Word Converter
- Adobe Acrobat
Read on for the detailed analysis of each tool.
How to Convert Word to PDF, Free or Not?
Invented by Adobe in the 1990s, the PDF was a proprietary file type protected by patent up until 2008. Since then, manipulating and converting PDF’s has become free from royalty obligations, however, converting PDF’s to Word documents remains difficult as few free products offer this service. For a long time, converting PDF to Word was only possible through Adobe’s proprietary software Adobe Acrobat. Fortunately, a number of free PDF to Word converters have recently popped up with great success, democratizing this service once and for all.
With an abundance of free development kits and converters available both online and for download, manipulating PDF’s has never been easier. Beyond converting to Word, PDF’s can also be converted to other file types like image files. While the PDF creator Adobe still holds the patent to the PDF, they have released it to the public royalty free. This means anyone can use and manipulate PDF’s so long as they comply with Adobe’s original PDF specifications.
Read along as we examine some of the most popular free PDF to Word converters online. Online converters are the most convenient as they work easily in most internet browsers.
WPS PDF to Word Converter is a desktop app and because of that, it is faster than many online tools. The app processes files in batches keeping the quality of your files, accurately reproducing text fonts and layouts weights.
You can convert up to five pages long with a free version of the app, however, if you need to convert files without limit on the number of pages, the premium version of the app will cost you $19.99.
- Launch WPS Writer, go to Special features > PDF to Word.
- When it pops up WPS PDF to Word Converter, drag or open a PDF file from your computer to the converted area.
- Choose the saved type and saved location in terms of your needs, and click "Start" to convert your PDF file.
Works on: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP
Price: Free/$19.99 annually
- Batch Processing
- Accurate Conversion
- Unlimited Range of Conversion
- Free Premium Version for Education
- 1 GB Cloud Storage in Free Version
- All Templates Free
- Five-page Limit
- A Lot of Ads in Free Version
The interface of the PDF2DOC web service is pretty simple and easy-to-use, the service is free and works on mobile devices. PDF2DOC maintains the original PDF text, fonts, layout and bitmap images in the generated Word document. You can convert up to 20 files at a time and download the files one by one or all at once in ZIP archive format.
- Just click the Upload Files button or drop your files into the box (up to 20 files).
- Wait for the conversion process to finish.
- Download converted files either file by file or click the Download All button to download them all at once in a ZIP archive
Works on: Online version
- Available on Desktops Well as s Mobile Devices
- Batch File Upload and Download
- A Lot of Ads
Online2PDF is one of the quickest and easiest ways to convert PDF’s to Word files or even other Microsoft Office file types. A one-stop PDF tool, Online2PDF is available in six different languages making it one of the most popular and accessible online converters. Unlike some more minimalist converters, Online2PDF preserves PDF annotations during conversion so that comments and edits are saved into your new document. Online2PDF even offers bulk conversions, perfect for those looking to work with many different files at the same time.
- To use Online2PDF, click the link in the header to open up the site.
- Once you have the site open in front of you, scroll down to the button titled “Select files”.
- Click “Select files” to select up to twenty files to convert at the same time.
- Once you have selected your files, choose which kind of file type you would like to convert too with the “Convert too” list button.
- Press the big red “Convert” button to get started. With this step, you’re all done, as the newly converted files will download automatically. Easy!
Works on: Online
- Supports bulk conversions
- Preserves PDF annotations
- Cluttered user interface
There are two versions of Nitro PDF to Word Converter, a desktop app for Windows and an online version, that is free. We'll consider the second one.
Free online PDF to Word Converter allows uploading multiple files and choosing different formats (including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Once your file is converted, it will be sent to you via email. One of the biggest disadvantages is that each email address is limited to five file conversions per month, the limit that, for sure, restricts.
The quality of the converted file is good, the text is maintained well, however, there can be some issues with images, rogue spaces, and line breaks.
- Select the PDF file you need to convert.
- Indicate an email address you want to send the converted file to.
- Click the "Convert Now" button to start.
Works on: Windows, online
- Fully Integrated with Nitro Cloud
- Quick Conversion Process
- Batch Processing
- Microsoft Office ribbon-style interface
- Only Five Conversions per Month for Free
- Does not Support Indexing
- Some Images Lost
For OnlineOCR it’s all in the name. If you don't already know, OCR stands for optical character recognition software, a necessary tool for recognizing foreign characters during the conversion process. With embedded OCR technology, OnlineOCR converter is one of the best tools for those looking to convert documents containing foreign language characters such as those found in Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. With over 45 supports languages, there’s a good chance OnlineOCR will work for you.
The only downside to OnlineOCR is a conversion limit for guests set at 15 conversions per hour. If you have many conversions to do in a limited time frame, OnlineOCR may not be the best service for you.
- To use OnlineOCR converter, first, open the site through the link in the header.
- Follow the steps on the homepage by uploading your file with the “Select file” button.
- Next, select the language and your desired output format.
- Click “Convert” to get your newly converted file.
Works on: Online
- Optical character recognition for 46 languages
- No PDF editing
- Conversion limit set a 15 per hour
SodaPDF is a versatile program with a variety of useful tools available for everything from merging and compressing PDF’s to editing, and of course, converting PDF’s to Word. While primarily available as an online browser service, SodaPDF is also available for use offline with its downloadable version. SodaPDF is capable of batch converting, perfect for performing bulk conversions efficiently.
One of the perks with SodaPDF is the fact that converted files are deleted from their web servers in 24 hours or less, making this a top choice for those concerned with privacy. Unlike other converts like OnlineOCR, SodaPDF is only available in select languages. For those working with non-Latin alphabets or with other special characters, mileage with SodaPDF may vary.
- To use SodaPDF, open the site by clicking the link in the section header.
- Drop your files into the box or select the “Choose file” button to upload your files from your hard drive, google drive, or Dropbox account.
- Selecting a word file will automatically convert it to PDF. Selecting a PDF file will give you the option to select your desired output file format. Selecting the file type will start the conversion process automatically.
- Download your new file with the “Download Now” button.
Works on: Online, Mac, Windows
- Supports Bulk Converting
- Downloadable For Offline Use
- Supports PDF Editing
- Only Supports Select Languages
FreePDFconverter is one of the simplest and cleanest converters available online. Free from annoying and cluttered advertisements, FreePDFconverter is elegant and presents a user-friendly interface. With over ten million users with many more successful conversions, FreePDFconverter is known for its reliability among its loyal user base.
With a wide variety of PDF enabled tools, FreePDFconverter can help you edit your PDF documents by splitting, compressing, rotating, and deleting unneeded pages. While these tools are great for editing a PDF, however, this converter makes no mention of languages other than English thus it may not be calibrated for optical character recognition.
Finally, despite the name, this converter is not free. Upon attempting to convert, you will receive a popup demanding that you sign up and subscribe for $5 a month. For this reason, we cannot recommend FreePDFConverter as it does not live up to its name.
- To open FreePDFconverter, click the link in the header of this section.
- Click the blue “Choose PDF File” or drag your files into the box.
- Upon choosing a file, the converter will convert to Word automatically.
- If your document is more than two pages, you will need to pay and subscribe.
Works on: Online
Price: Free/$5 monthly/$50 annually/$99 one-time
- Supports PDF Editing
- Elegant User Interface
- Dishonest Name
- Paid Subscription Required for Converting More Than Two Pages
SmallPDF is an efficient browser-based PDF to WORD converting software that carries a simple and easy-to-use interface and is centered in giving a great user experience.
SmallPDF can convert files from PDF to many other formats and vice versa. Besides, it performs other features like editing of PDFs, merging PDFs, compression of PDF, scan split, merge, rotate and convert documents. There are also some limited security functions such as electronic document signing and password protection.
- Click the "Choose file" button to add your file or just drop the file into the box.
- Choose the format you want to convert to (Word, Excel, or ppt).
- Download the file, share it, save to Dropbox or Google drive.
Works on: Mac, Windows and Linux
Price: Free/ $6 monthly/ $48 annually
- Easy-to-use Interface
- The Free Version Only Allows for 2 Compression Uses Per Hour
ILovePDF converter is one of the simplest pdf tools online that adopt the minimalist approach towards PDF conversion. It offers a comprehensive set of free PDF processing tools, covering file conversions, compression, merging, watermarking, rotation, splitting, and more.
You can register to get more free features (15 MB files, 2 hours of link life and 10 downloads). There is also a premium version without ads, premium access to an iLovePDF mobile app, highest file size per task, maximum files per task and more.
- Select the file you want to convert or drop the file into the box (you can also choose one from Dropbox or Google Drive).
- Click the "Convert to Word" button.
- When the file is ready, download it.
Works on: Windows 10/8.1/8/7, Mac OS X 10.7 or later + Online version
Price: Free/$48 annually
- Dropbox and Google Drive Integration
- Easily Share Converted Files
- Precise and Reliable Conversions
- Free Version has Quantitative Restrictions
- A Lot of Ads
10. Adobe Acrobat
While not free, Adobe Acrobat is the original PDF converter capable of handling all your converting and PDF editing needs. What's more, is that Adobe Acrobat allows you to preserve your original PDFs by placing password protections or setting file permissions for editing and copying. Adobe Acrobat is essential for businesses looking to protect their intellectual property, it is for this reason that Adobe remains an industry leader and continues to profit off of their innovative PDF file format.
Adobe Acrobat is a paid service that may be out of reach for many looking to simply convert a one-off document here and there. However, for students, most university libraries have subscriptions to Acrobat making it accessible on most university campuses and sometimes even public libraries. Likewise, many businesses and corporations have subscriptions as well.
- To convert a PDF to Word in Adobe Acrobat, open your file in Acrobat.
- Click on “Export to PDF” tool on the right-hand side of the program.
- Choose your desired export format.
- Click “Export”, name the new file, and save to your computer.
Works on: Mac and Windows
- Market Leader and Original Inventor of The PDF
- Supports All Types of PDF Editing
- Can be Used Offline
- Paid Subscription Necessary
Converting Made Easy
By now you should have found a program to handle all your converting needs. It’s often a rare case where one needs to convert from PDF to Word, making having to search for how to do it annoying. Save yourself the future effort by bookmarking this article for next time! If you'll need just edit a few words, please check out our simple follow-along instructions on how to edit PDF files on Mac and Windows by using build-in tools, Adobe Acrobat, or other online PDF editors.